Spotlight for Chicago, IL
As Frank Sinatra sang, "Chicago... I'll show you around... I love it." People that live here and people that come visit can agree that this city is, in fact, easy to love! It boasts unbelievable culture, world-class dining, and an eclectic skyline and architecture that is unlike any other city.
Furthermore, Chicago's geographical location make it incredibly unique; situated in the Midwest, both coasts are easily accessible and its positioning on Lake Michigan allows visitors and tourists to enjoy both the urban environment and the beach on the lakefront. The Willis Tower, formerly known as the Sears Tower, is a 108-story skyscraper that defines Chicago's infamous skyline. When it was completed in 1974, it was the tallest building in the world and held that very rank for nearly 25 years. In 2003, Sears lost its naming rights for the building and as a result, in 2009, Willis Group Holdings, Ltd. leased a large portion of the building and retained those naming rights. As of July 16, 2009, the Sears Tower was officially renamed Willis Tower. Chicago is also a popular destination for world-class dining and international culinary masters. A newer edition to the list of well-known Chicago restaurants is Graham Elliot. World-renown chef Graham Elliot Bowles presents a new approach to fine dining that does away with dress-codes, white table cloths, and tuxedoed servers and brings "humor and accessibility" to four-star cuisine in a hip and approachable environment. If you're able to score a reservation, it's a unique experience that is incredibly synonymous with Chicago and is a "must go" when in town. Another well-known Chicago attraction, known as "The Bean," is technically called the Cloud Gate Sculpture and is situated in Millennium Park. Its a three-story steel sculpture, designed by artist Anish Kapoor, that resembles a legume and cost nearly $23 million to complete. It was inspired by liquid mercury, and its reflective surface distorts anything coming into contact with it, whether it be the visitors standing in front of it or the skyline a few blocks away. There are also a number of nicknames that have been assigned to Chicago that represent the city from both a historical and modern perspective, including: Chi-town, the Windy City, the Second City, the City of Big Shoulders, and the Most American of Big Cities. Once you've visited, it's easy to see that the diverse nature of this town warrants so many nicknames. Chicago is truly a unique town that offers its residents and visitors so many things to do; it's no wonder that people continue visiting to soak up all that this great city has to offer!
Chicago Daily HeraldHoffman Estates' property tax levy is expected to increase 4.8 percent for 2016 and water rates may rise 6 percent, but an anticipated hike in garbage collection fees won't occur, and spending caused by the emerald ash borer is nearly complete.
- Woman from Naperville guilty of prostitution at Bartlett spa - Chicago Tribune
- Boys basketball notes: Bartlett's Robby Jimenez emerges as top scorer - Chicago Tribune
- Schaumburg preparing for Dick's plan to sell handguns - Chicago Daily Herald
- Grant program lets donors double their money Tuesday - Chicago Tribune
- Student Charged With Bringing Gun Into Barrington High School - CBS Local
The man accused of killing three people and wounding nine in a shooting rampage at a Planned Parenthood clinic in Colorado Springs was told he faces charges including first-degree murder during his first court appearance on Monday. Robert Lewis Dear, 57, appearing by video link from jail, spoke ...
- Police shooting of black teen cited in U of Chicago threat
- Putin: Turkey shot down Russian plane to defend ISIS oil supplies
- Suspect in Colorado clinic shooting told he faces murder charge
- Chicago officer, charged with murdering black teen, posts bond
- U.S. tightens visa waiver program in wake of Paris attacks
New York TimesThe political culture of Albany was wielded as a shield in Sheldon Silver's defense: If Mr. Silver, the former State Assembly speaker, wrapped himself in financial conflicts of interest and collected millions of dollars in outside income, his lawyers ...ABC NewsWall Street JournalNew ...
- Boston Marathon Bomber's Lawyers to Argue for New Trial - ABC News
- Planned Parenthood shooting suspect appears in court - CNN
- Facing intense heat on McDonald shooting, Emanuel seeks to buy time with ... - Chicago Tribune
- Man arrested for threatening to kill 'white devils' at the University of Chicago - Washington Post
- Special prosecutor confirms Bland case nearly complete - Christian Science Monitor